FFacade Of Old Mental Hospital. Completed in 1892, the building was originally used as staff quarters for the Government Civil Hospital. In 1939, the building was converted into wards for mentally-ill female patients in order to relieve overcrowding of the nearby Mental Hospital. In 1961, it became an out-patient clinic for the mentally-ill and was left vacant from 1971 until 1998. In 1998, the site was redeveloped into the Sai Ying Pun Community Complex, but the granite facade of the building was preserved.